What are you Allergic To?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010
All my life I have prided myself on the fact that I am not allergic to anything. It's silly, because it's not like you can control it. In face, no one in my family is allergic to anything that I know of.

Today was an interesting day. I had to take Braeden back to the doctors yesterday because he was STILL sick as a dog from last Thursday, with no signs of getting any better. The appointment went better this time and he was given an antibiotic (amoxicillin) and Bayler was given some eye drops. Since the pharmacy was closed by the time I got home, I decided I could wait until today to pick up the prescriptions. I first gave Braeden his first dose of Amoxicillin and then rubbed some lotion on his VERY chapped face ... poor guy :(

Seconds later he found me in the kitchen, scratching his face, telling me his head hurt. I immediately noticed he had a red rash all the way around his face with hives! OMG, you know I freaked out! I called the doc and they didn't know if it was either the amoxicillin or the lotion ... since the hives were not all over his body (they would have been if it was the amox) then they figured it was from the lotion. Nothing serious, but because his face was so chapped, it was just really raw and reacted to it.

So we went on with our day. This evening, as I was getting the kids ready for bed, I gave Braeden his last dose of Amoxicillin before putting him in the bath. This time I did not put lotion on. I took off his clothes and realized he had the same rash with hives ALL over his body ... UMMM, you KNOW I was extremely freaking out this time, because I knew it was the Amox, and if it was the Amox, then he was probably allergic to Pennisillian. I called the doctor on call, it happened to be our doctor thank God! He pretty much told me to give him a bit of bendryl, and wait 24 hours to see if the hives left. He sais since the hives were all over his body, that he is in fact allergic to Amoxicillin and can not have Penicillin now ... which is huge! I know people that have to wear bracelets letting people know they are allergic ... and I know some that should be wearing their bracelets that don't (LINDSEY) which freak me out.

SO, after thinking that Braeden was not allergic to a thing, now I realize he is VERY allergic, and I have to take a lot of precautions now ...

Any suggestions on how I should start marking him to let care takers know? I don't think he will wear a bracelet ... but this guys braclet is kind of cute :)

Kids are so hard!



Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I am allergic to the same meds. I wore a bracelet when I was small b/c I thought it was cool...maybe he will think the same?

Anonymous said...

Wow...I found out four years ago that I am allergic to Penicillin (even thought I've taken it ALL my life)! My throat swells up when I take it, causing me to not be able to breathe! I am also allergic to caffinee...but I drink coffee like it's going out of style! :)

Unknown said...

Most places (Daycare, Pharmacy and your doctors office) keep track of allergies. The pharmacy will call the doc if they prescribe something that the person is allergic to and get the medication changed. I have medicine allergies too :(

Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design